Boston Sports Jerseys

One of the ESPN.com writers (Dave Dameshek) has started to write lists of the best (and worst) sports jerseys to buy for a given city. So far, he has done Pittsburgh, Los Angeles, and, most recently, Boston. I thought I would give my critique here.

I'm not very enthused by Dameshek's list, because I think he got too "cute" with his selections. He also has only seven people on the list. I don't think you can limit it to seven in Boston (unless you limit the number of Red Sox and Bruins jerseys). Anyway, here are my comments on his specific choices (I'm going to gloss over some of them).

Best Jerseys


1. Bobby Orr--Definitely should be included. Number 1? Probably not, unless you're a hockey fan.
2. Larry Bird--Another good choice, but I think it should be a game jersey, since the warm-up jackets from that era are kind of ugly.
3. Fred Lynn/Gabe Kapler/Josh Beckett--Seriously? While Lynn and Beckett are admittedly good players, I'm a little stunned that Dameshek would put them ahead of Yaz, Ted Williams, Jim Rice, David Ortiz or even Oil Can Boyd.
4. Tom Brady--I don't think we can argue about this one either. While I think the list should focus on players who have retired, Brady is one of two people most responsible for New England's Super Bowl success in the past decade (the other is Bill Belichick).
5. Mark Henderson--This is just stupid. Henderson is the guy who used a snowplow to clear a spot on the field to help the Patriots' kicker in 1982. He doesn't count as a player, and should absolutely be stricken from this list.
6. Doug Flutie--Absolutely.
7. Derek Sanderson--No and no. He might have been a character, but you're going to tell me he should be on this list ahead of Ray Bourque, Phil Esposito and Gerry Cheevers? Not to mention players from other sports. I'm absolutely flabbergasted that there are more Bruins players on this list than Celtics.

Honorable Mention

I'm not sure what to say about this. I just don't like it when he cops out saying, "Any member of '60s or '80s Celtics (except Greg Kite)" and things like that. He never mentions Bill Russell or John Havlicek by name. This is an absolute travesty.

Worst Jerseys

1. Johnny Damon--Definitely should be on this list for the way he stabbed Boston in the back. Should he be top of the list? Probably not.
2. Roger Clemens--I'm torn about this. I don't like Clemens, and he was a jerk in Boston, but he was likely clean while he was there, and he was a great player. Most of his really terrible problems have been since he left there. I would leave him off the list altogether.
3. Bob Stanley--This is dumb. We all know Bill Buckner screwed up. There's no reason to try rehabilitating him by shifting blame to Bob Stanley. I was watching that game. Buckner is the goat.
4. Rick Pitino--Again, this isn't a player, but Pitino certainly needs to be reviled in Boston.
5. Tony Eason--Agreed.
6.
Eric Mangini--Another coach. Did Dameshek have trouble coming up with players?
7. Gold Alternate Bruins--Not my favorite jersey, but worst? Probably not.

Coming up next. . . my own list of best and worst jerseys.

No comments: