McCain on Spain

I had decided not to post anything negative today, but I just couldn't let this slide. Many of you know that Plainbellied and I spent a year living in Spain, and my brother and his wife both spent two years there. My primary research specialty is Spanish history. So you can imagine that my ears perk up when that country is mentioned.

Senator McCain did an interview with a Miami affiliate of Cadena Ser, a Spanish news radio company. When the interviewer asked him about the Prime Minister of Spain, Jose Luis Zapatero, it sounded like McCain thought Spain was in Latin America, and he never responded directly to questions of whether or not he would meet with Zapatero. I don't really believe that McCain doesn't know where Spain is, but his evasive answers were troubling nonetheless.

The Washington Post wrote about it this morning.

Here is the English audio if you are interested:



If you prefer the Spanish version:

1 comment:

Plainbellied said...

Geez. Talk about about a PR blunder. That's way worse than Palin not knowing what the Bush Doctrine is.