Talk to the Beard

As I mentioned a couple of days ago, I'm going to be teaching a couple of courses this summer at my alma mater. Well, I just realized the other day that this means I have to shave off my beard. You see, the school has a very strict "dress and grooming" standard. No short shorts or facial hair (for men or women). It's actually a very sad realization for me. I've had the beard for a year and a half. I started it when I broke my hand in an embarrassing incident involving a refrigerator and cupboard. I had a cast on my right hand, and my left is essentially useless for intricate tasks, so I stopped shaving. By the time the cast came off, I had a decent beard going, so I kept it. Well, now it's going to come off.

I suppose I could argue about it or get on my high horse and not take the job, but let's face it, taking the classes is a good career move (and good summer money), and if the only thing I have to sacrifice is my beard, I'll do it. I mean, I did it for the three years I was in college. I can always start growing it back on August 16.

No comments: