Nifty Quote

I thought I would share the opening sentences from one of my favorite books, On Bulls***, by Princeton Professor of Philosophy Harry G. Frankfurt. Dr. Frankfurt initially wrote it as an essay for a lunchtime lecture series held by his department. Since I am committed to avoid profanity on my blog, I have decided to obscure a key term, even though you all know what it is. The book opens as follows:

"One of the most salient features of our culture is that there is so much bulls***. Everyone knows this."

Frankfurt spends the next 67 pages analyzing this phenomenon, ultimately concluding that "sincerity itself is bulls***." I highly recommend the book. It is an entertaining look at something all too familiar to teachers around the world. Just be warned that it uses that term on every page.

No comments: