Thoughts related to film

So I watched Superman III. Well, that did it for me. I'm done. I cancelled Superman IV from my Netflix queue. I just don't think I can handle it. Instead, I have Cache coming next. I'm interested in seeing how that movie is. They say it's very good. Supposedly it links things to French Algeria, which is one of the topics I cover in my courses (we watch The Battle of Algiers).

The film I really want to see is The Wind that Shakes the Barley by Ken Loach. The film tells the story of Irish independence, but unlike Michael Collins, it focuses on rank-and-file members of the movement. It came out in the UK and much of the world last year, and it won the Palm d'Or at Cannes. Somehow, though, it never made it here. Well, the wait is almost over. It's supposed to be released in March (around St. Patrick's Day).

It got some mixed reviews in the UK, because it takes a relatively strong anti-British stance. It's a little problematic because most of us think about the mess in Northern Ireland when we think about conflict between Britain and Ireland, where the IRA refuses to give up its weapons and such. In the early part of this century, however, the British did a number of incredibly brutal things in Ireland, though, sending in the notorious Black and Tans to quell unrest. This is probably the first time a British filmmaker has taken these abuses seriously.

No comments: